Index » PageStream Support » Macintosh OSX » Setting up 5.0.5.7 on a Mac
Sign in to add a comment Pages: 1
2010-09-08 00:44:24 CT #1
Don Green Dragon
From: Unknown
Registered: 2011-12-10
Posts: 58

Thanks to Deron for the release of 5.0.5.7 which I downloaded just a few moments ago -- make that hours ago! It was not until this evening that I managed to get the OK to send messages to <PageStreamMacintoshBeta@yahoogroups.com> so I missed out on the 2Sep2010 release until this evening.

When the file 'PageStream5.0.5.7.dmg' opened I was stymied since I already had a file PageStream.app in the 'Applications' folder, and I did not want it overwritten. It seems it was the wrong version anyway.

So ..... I'll not bother you with all the tedium, but after about 2 hours, maybe more, I finally had the the two versions of PageStream, 5.0.5.6 and 5.0.5.7, on the dock and opening. My setup on the Mac was so screwed up that I doubt that I've ever used 5.0.5.6!!! My guess is that I was still using 5.0.5.1 but maybe not because some of the issues with 5.0.5.1 disappeared during recent usage.

When I look in the Finder, it tells me that PgS5057.app (renamed file for version 5.0.5.7) that it eats up a humungous 76.3 MB!! Wink There is some icon on the desktop which is named PageStream5 and uses 148 MB but I've thrown it into the trash. Hope PageStream does not need it!!! Smile Well, apparently PageStream is using it -- although not running -- since the system refused to dump my Trash!

Earlier today, some message came up on the mac about software updates for some 8 items. Since the system claimed that I was still using OS 10.6.3 I approved the update. Just the update was 255 MB and I did end up with 10.6.4 installed after an hour or so. The only good part was that I did not have to lift a finger -- except to click my approval to install.

Just like the Amiga, sometimes I hate the Mac OS and at other times it is wonderful. Smile

I wonder how well 5057 will dance!


Cheers,
Don (Green Dragon)
From tdcasey@btinternet.com Wed Sep 08 03:43:41 2010
Return-Path: <tdcasey@btinternet.com>
X-Sender: tdcasey@btinternet.com
X-Apparently-To: PageStreamMacintoshBeta@yahoogroups.com
X-Received: (qmail 80563 invoked from network); 8 Sep 2010 10:43:38 -0000
X-Received: from unknown (98.137.34.44)
by m8.grp.sp2.yahoo.com with QMQP; 8 Sep 2010 10:43:38 -0000
X-Received: from unknown (HELO smtp816.mail.ukl.yahoo.com) (217.12.12.245)
by mta1.grp.sp2.yahoo.com with SMTP; 8 Sep 2010 10:43:38 -0000
X-Received: (qmail 39179 invoked from network); 8 Sep 2010 10:43:37 -0000
X-Received: from [192.168.0.4] (tdcasey@86.165.116.164 with plain)
by smtp816.mail.ukl.yahoo.com with SMTP; 08 Sep 2010 10:43:35 +0000 GMT
X-Yahoo-SMTP: kUmCXbaswBC7KeBLOlCD7qpF30ybcj_iqA3On4qMFRg0uJU-
X-YMail-OSG: Jdh04LkVM1mx27u7I9HiMQFmBMPgLt8ER0J2DkfQedAJGgq
B.yu76JOC
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v1081)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 11:43:35 +0100
In-Reply-To: <4C871922.402@pagestream.org>
To: PageStreamMacintoshBeta@yahoogroups.com
References: <yam11937.2199.1800506048@MAIL-OUT.ULETH.CA> <4C871922.402@pagestream.org>
Message-Id: <5ADBF1CC-E7A6-4028-ADDF-99D8B99FC6DC@btinternet.com>
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.1081)
X-Originating-IP: 217.12.12.245
X-eGroups-Msg-Info: 1:12:0:0:0
From: Terence Casey <tdcasey@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [PageStreamMacintoshBeta] Redraw Window
X-Yahoo-Group-Post: member; ui950042; yèl3KPc8qlaoSbtqHyIICLHNNfNpX2mvRzFfWceEMK1Y-JNQB3IvaxnY2KXsL3jzNQ
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hello Deron and others,

Thank you for your message of 8 Sep 2010, at 06:03.

My first query was not about function keys or keyboard short cuts but about having a tool for 'Redraw Window' in the tool bar.

However, trying out the function keys I get the following:

F10 – on my iMac this is the 'Mute' key – that is why Don saw a little loudspeaker graphic come and go.

Fn + F10 – This simply moves and reduces all the open windows so that you can see them all and choose one to make active.

So. no 'Redraw Window' there then!

Reverting to the Toolbar I have discovered that in 'Preferences' for Toolbar , there are, way down near the bottom of the left hand column, a number of unallocated scripts in the form of 'Script: <none>'. If you transfer one of these to the right hand column you are given the opportunity to choose a script to play. One of these is 'Redraw Window' – so I now have a tool for 'Redraw Window' in my Toolbar which is what I originally wanted.

So, many thanks to all those who made helpful suggestions,

Cheerio,

Terence Casey

Intel iMac11,3 running Mac OS X 10.6.4

------------------------------------------------------


> First, looks like script keyboard shortcuts are broken in the current
> 5.0.5.7 release folks. Just wanted to warn everyone.
>
> As to your issue Don, this is not a PageStream bug or setting. Sounds
> like you need to press fn-F10 instead of just F10. You can change that
> in a system prefs some where. Or the system is catching the F10, you
> need to make it stop. Otherwise PageStream never even knows you hit it.
> That is why I thing the Mac default is like F8 or some such and not F10
> to avoid conflict that folks won't know how to resolve.
>
> Since I can't get shortcuts to work at all, and I can't recall the
> specifics from memory, you will have to do a little investigating on
> your own Smile
>
> Deron
>
> > Greetings "Terence Casey" <caseytd@btinternet.com>
> > On 27/08/2010 at 18:38 you wrote concerning
> > [PageStreamMacintoshBeta] Redraw Window
> >
> > Hi Terence and Deron,
> >
> > TC> With your help I now have the latest Macintosh version installed permanently (not demo version).
> >
> > TC> Now I have another slight problem.
> >
> > TC> On my previous version there was a very useful tool in the toolbar - 'Redraw Window' but now I can't find it.
> >
> > TC> It doesn't seem to appear in the preferences for toolbar nor in the available scripts.
> >
> > TC> How can I get it back please?
> >
> > This is my second response as I have been experimenting with «Redraw Window» and found:
> >
> > Attempting to use «Redraw Window» by hitting the F10 key does not work under OS X = 10.6.4. What happens is a graphic appears which looks like a speaker emitting sound, stays on the page for 1 second, then fades out, but no redrawing of the page is carried out.
> >
> > To get «Redraw Window» to work, I leave the Scripts palette in view, and highlight «Redraw Window» in the Scripts palette. Then when one needs to redraw the window, simply click on the green, rightward pointing triangle near the top of the Scripts palette. This causes «Redraw Window» to be carried out successfully.
> >
> > Perhaps something need be set in PageStream in order that F10 performs «Redraw Window». It is really annoying that F10 does not do what the Scripts palette claims, as I find that I need to redraw the window quite often in certain types of work. For example, I've been experimenting with anchoring graphic elements, and the page always needs refreshing after anchoring the graphic.
> >
> > So either this is a bug or something has to be set in PageStream 5.0.5.6.
> >
> >
> > Cheers Don (Green Dragon)
> >
>
> --
> Happy Trails,
> Deron Kazmaier deron@dogstarkennel.com
> KD0AYO Western South Dakota
> Dog Star Kennelhttp://www.dogstarkennel.com
>
--- Racing AKC Sepp-Star Seppala Siberian Husky Sled Dogs
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


2010-09-08 09:53:20 CT #2
Jim Saklad
From: United States
Registered: 2006-02-22
Posts: 152

> When the file 'PageStream5.0.5.7.dmg' opened I was stymied since I already had a file PageStream.app in the 'Applications' folder, and I did not want it overwritten. It seems it was the wrong version anyway.
>
> So ..... I'll not bother you with all the tedium, but after about 2 hours, maybe more, I finally had the the two versions of PageStream, 5.0.5.6 and 5.0.5.7, on the dock and opening. My setup on the Mac was so screwed up that I doubt that I've ever used 5.0.5.6!!! My guess is that I was still using 5.0.5.1 but maybe not because some of the issues with 5.0.5.1 disappeared during recent usage.
>
> When I look in the Finder, it tells me that PgS5057.app (renamed file for version 5.0.5.7) that it eats up a humungous 76.3 MB!! Wink There is some icon on the desktop which is named PageStream5 and uses 148 MB but I've thrown it into the trash. Hope PageStream does not need it!!! Smile Well, apparently PageStream is using it -- although not running -- since the system refused to dump my Trash!
>
> Just like the Amiga, sometimes I hate the Mac OS and at other times it is wonderful. Smile


It is clear that your problems are not primarily with Pagestream, but with your degree of understanding of the MacOS.

I suggest you go here, join, and get your Mac questions resolved:
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/macsupportcentral/join>

1. The Pagestream MacOS X download is a package complete unto itself. It can be placed anywhere on your drive and still run.

2. It can be renamed as you please and still run (e.g., Pagestream 2, Pagestream 5057, Phred,...)

3. Many people find it easier to keep all or most 3rd-party applications in a folder/directory separate from the Mac's top-level Applications directory - e.g. /Users/Shared/Applications or /Users/<username>/Applications - rather than mixing *everything* in a single undifferentiated directory.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com


2010-09-08 22:24:30 CT #3
Don Green Dragon
From: Unknown
Registered: 2011-12-10
Posts: 58

Hello Jim,

Thank you for replying.

On 2010-0809-, at 7:53 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> <<snip>>
> > Just like the Amiga, sometimes I hate the Mac OS and at other times it is wonderful. Smile
>
> It is clear that your problems are not primarily with Pagestream, but with your degree of understanding of the MacOS.

How true! Smile
>
> I suggest you go here, join, and get your Mac questions resolved:
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/macsupportcentral/join>

Thanks for the reference. I'm already on one group, where I luck mostly, but the above sounds good.

> 1. The Pagestream MacOS X download is a package complete unto itself. It can be placed anywhere on your drive and still run.

Yes. My organization on the mac is very poor at this point. Sad

> 2. It can be renamed as you please and still run (e.g., Pagestream 2, Pagestream 5057, Phred,...)

Have done so.

> 3. Many people find it easier to keep all or most 3rd-party applications in a folder/directory separate from the Mac's top-level Applications directory - e.g. /Users/Shared/Applications or /Users/<username>/Applications - rather than mixing *everything* in a single undifferentiated directory.

Sounds like another good suggestion. Many thanks.
>

Cheers, Don (Green Dragon)


Sign in to add a comment Pages: 1
Index » PageStream Support » Macintosh OSX » Setting up 5.0.5.7 on a Mac

Sign in to add a comment.